Expansion Chassis faqs
1. How does the Expansion Chassis connect to the
The Expansion Chassis connects via an included able to the
Communications (Com) Port #1. The connection on the Expansion Chassis is on the "back" next to the slots.
2. Can I use the Expansion Chassis with all 9315 models?
Yes, all new 9315s will have an improved harness that will operate properly with the Expansion Chassis. A retrofit kit is also planned to be available for older UPSs. Contact your Global Services representative for details.
3. If a customer wants to use the Remote Monitor Panel (RMP), Supervisory Contact Module (SCM) or Remote Interface Module (RIM), can that customer still use the Expansion Chassis?
Yes, in this case the expansion chassis must be connected to Com 2.
4. If a customer wants to use the Remote Notify option or Global Services option, can that customer still use the Expansion Chassis?
Yes, in this case the expansion chassis must be connected to Com 1.
5. Can a customer use all of the following simultaneously?
- RMP, SCM, RIM
- Remote Notify, Global Services Remote Monitoring Option
- Expansion Chassis
No, a customer may use: a and b; a and c; or b and
c (but not all three at the same time).
6. What do the LEDs on the front of the chassis do?
There are two types of LED:
- Power On/Off indicator LED
- LEDs corresponding to each slot that indicate data transmission and receipt of data
The LEDs provide an easy way to verify visually that the chassis is operational.
7. What do the switch and port on the front of the chassis do?
The auxiliary switch allows direct connection to the card in slot #3. It takes slot #3 off the internal network and connects it directly to the serial port. There may be cases where it is desirable to have a single port serial card or another card serve as a direct interface to the UPS. By using the auxiliary switch and port this can be accomplished.
8. Why is the Modbus Card included with the chassis?
The modbus card is used to manage the communications for the other two slots.
9. Will the Expansion Chassis operate without the Modbus Card?
Not normally (the exception being if the auxiliary mode in #7 above is described).
10. Why are there three power jacks on the back of the Expansion Chassis?
They are redundant and may all be live simultaneously. This gives an extra amount of protection should problems develop. One external power adapter is provided in the kit.