Top UPS design considerations
The following factors outline the key design considerations to take into account when analyzing your needs.
1. Power environment: single- and three-phase
2. Installation environment
3. Power load
4. Availability and battery runtime
There are four basic battery runtime configurations:
- UPS with 10 to 15 minutes of runtime and no generator. You are covered for 90 to 95 percent of power outages. You can either use UPS shutdown clients to save your data or stay online as long as possible before the system crashes.
- UPS with 10 to 15 minutes of runtime and a generator. You have a very reliable setup and most generators will startup within one minute (five minutes maximum). You are covered for most situations.
- Redundant UPSs, generator and two power feeds for dual-corded servers. You have a lot of money and/or are really worried about the power failing. It's time to get a consultative person on-site to help you figure it out.
6. Power distribution
8. Operation and maintenance
Other UPS design considerations
The following design guidelines should be reviewed and followed prior to ordering the appropriate UPS solution.
1. Check to see if there’s an adequate electrical supply near the UPS.
2. Find out the dimensions of the UPS and include any battery cabinets.
3. Ensure the UPS can be placed in its final position.
4. Verify that the floor is strong enough to support the UPS and battery cabinets.
5. Confirm that the UPS will have adequate ventilation.
6. Always be sure which wall receptacle is required to plug in the UPS.
7. Verify that the UPS fits your receptacle and power requirements, or engage with electrician to hardwire it.
8. Installing small UPS models behind larger UPS models.
9. Using a UPS and a generator together.
10. Verify the UPS solution meets local building codes.
- PC, Workstation & Home AV UPS
- Eaton 3S (550-700 VA)
- Eaton Ellipse ECO (650-1600VA)
- Eaton 5E (500-2000VA)
- Eaton 5S (550 - 1500VA)
- Eaton 5L (650-1200VA)
- Eaton Ellipse PRO (650-1600VA)
- Network & Server
- Eaton 5SC (500 - 1500VA)
- Eaton 5P (650-1550 VA)
- Eaton 5PX (1500-3000 VA)
- E Series DX (1-3 kVA)
- Eaton 9E (1000-3000 VA)
- Eaton 9SX (700VA-11 kVA)
- Eaton 9PX (1-3 kVA)
- Eaton 9PX (5-11 kVA)
- Eaton 9E (6-20 kVA)
- Eaton 9155 (8-30 KVA)
- Data Center & Facility UPS
- Eaton 93E XL (10-40 kVA)
- BladeUPS (12-60 kW)
- Eaton 93E (15-500 kVA)
- Eaton 93E (100-200kVA) HE UPS
- Eaton 93PR (25-200 kW)
- Power Xpert 9395P (250-1200 kVA)
- Power Xpert 9395 (225-1100 kVA)
- Eaton Micro Data Center
- Marine & Offshore UPS
- Eaton 9130 Marine (1000-3000 VA)
- Eaton 9PX Marine (1500-3000 VA)
- Eaton EX Marine (1500-3000 VA)
- Eaton 9155 Marine (8-30 kVA)
- Eaton 9355 Marine (8-40 kVA)
- Power Xpert 9395 Marine (225-1100 kVA)
- DC Power