News Release - 2017
Date: 30 March 2017
Eaton’s Blackout Tracker Annual Report Shows 17.9 Million People Affected by More Than 3,800 Power Outages in 2016
RALEIGH, N.C. … Underscoring the critical need for disaster recovery planning for businesses across the U.S., power management company Eaton today announced the release of its Blackout Tracker Annual Report for 2016. This year’s report found that nearly 18 million people were affected by 3,879 outages lasting over 48 minutes per power outage on average. And while California topped the list of states with the most power outages for the eighth consecutive year, power failures impacted individuals and businesses in all 50 states.
“The Blackout Tracker Annual Report shows how prevalent and dangerous power outages can be across the country, causing widespread damage and costing businesses millions,” said Mike DeCamp, senior marketing communications manager, Power Quality Division, Eaton. “As the data illustrates, the threat of power issues is ever-present, making it more important than ever to have a disaster recovery plan that includes reliable power protection.”
Blackout Tracker Annual Report data is based on a full year of reported power outages across the U.S. and is organized into three sections: an introduction to power outages and the impact of downtime, an overview of national power outage data, and power outage data by state. Eaton’s Blackout Tracker report features “top” outage lists, including the most significant reported outages, largest data center outages and the most unusual causes for outages.
Among the most unusual causes of power outages in 2016:
- Sanford, Florida: On March 16, a carjacking gone wrong caused a driver to crash into a power pole and resulted in an outage for local residents.
- New Britain, Connecticut: On April 21, a crane fell over onto power lines – causing a blackout to 1,444 people.
- Chicago, Illinois: On August 3, Firefighters responded to reports of smoke in the Gurnee suburb and were surprised to find the culprit was a lawn mower. The motored device apparently knocked over an electrical box, shorting out some wires and causing a small outage.
The costs associated with power failures has continued to rise. Although power failures are common due to weather and unforeseen events, uninterruptible power systems (UPSs), generators and power management software solutions are designed to deliver reliable power during outages so data centers stay up-and-running.
Eaton has tracked power outage information since February 16, 2008. Data for the report is taken from broadcast news reports, newspapers, websites (including those of newspapers and TV stations) and personal accounts.
To download the entire report and track power outages across the U.S., visit www.eaton.com/blackouttracker. To learn about Eaton’s line of power quality products and services, visit www.eaton.com/powerquality.
Eaton’s electrical business is a global leader with expertise in power distribution and circuit protection; backup power protection; control and automation; lighting and security; structural solutions and wiring devices; solutions for harsh and hazardous environments; and engineering services. Eaton is positioned through its global solutions to answer today’s most critical electrical power management challenges.
Eaton is a power management company with 2016 sales of $19.7 billion. We provide energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton is dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. Eaton has approximately 95,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit Eaton.com.
- Power Management
- Visual Power Manager (VPM)
- Visual Capacity Optimization Manager (VCOM)
- Intelligent Power Manager (IPM)
- Intelligent Power Protector (IPP)
- PC, Workstation & Home AV UPS
- Eaton 3S (350-750 VA)
- Eaton 5S (550 - 1500VA)
- Network, Server & Storage
- Eaton 5 Series
- Eaton 5SC (500 - 1500VA)
- Eaton 5P (750-3000 VA)
- Eaton 5P Rack (550-3000 VA)
- Eaton 5PX (1000-3000 VA)
- Eaton 9130 (700-3000 VA)
- Eaton 9SX (700-6000 VA)
- Eaton 9PXM (4-20 kVA)
- Eaton 9PX (700VA-11 kVA)
- Eaton 9155 (8-15 kVA)
- Eaton RACKPACKIT (6 kVA)
- Data Center & Facility UPS
- BladeUPS (5-60 kW)
- Eaton 9355 (10 - 30 kVA)
- Eaton Emergency Lighting UPSs - (8-200 kVA)
- Eaton 93E (20 - 60 kVA)
- Eaton 93PM (10-400 kW)
- Eaton 9390 (20-160 kVA)
- Eaton 9390IT (40 kVA)
- Power Xpert 9395 (200-1200 kVA)
- Industrial & Marine UPS
- Eaton FERRUPS (500 VA-18 kVA)
- Eaton FERRUPS RM 60Hz (1.4-7.0 kVA)
- Eaton 9155 Marine (8-30 kVA)
- Eaton 9355 Marine (8-40 kVA)
- Eaton 9PHD Marine (30-200 kVA)
- Power Xpert 9395 Marine (225-1100 kVA)
- Power Distribution
- Rack-mounted Power Distribution
- Floor-based Power Distribution
- Surge Suppression
- UPS Services
- Remote Monitoring
- Encls, Racks, Cages & Airflow Mgmt
- Airflow Management & Cooling Solutions
- Racks, Enclosures & Cages
- RS Enclosure
- Power Conditioning
- DC Power
- Technical & Office Furniture
- Command Consoles
- Office Furniture
- Lab Furniture
- Legacy Products